COURSE DURATION: Four (4) years | Intakes: January and September
This programme takes abroad field of project management focusing mainly on six areas of study namely; Project planning, design, and implementation; Project monitoring and evaluation; Project financing; project management information system; economics and environmental issues in project management. The programme provides leadership and stewardship in the provision of knowledge and practical skills in the area of project planning and management. This is undertaken with passion, moral responsibility and a strong sense of patriotism. The programme is designed to provide orientation to students on the informed and critical application of knowledge to problems and issues concerning project planning and management as a discipline and profession. Graduates from the programme are expected to share the problems with all the stakeholders and team members so that different experts come out with different ideas that can be used to provide a practical solution in project management.
The programme responds to the emerging problems and challenges in Kenya, regionally and globally that requires project planning design and implementation knowledge and skills to address for successful implementation of Vision 2030 and Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).
The programme has been on offer since 2012 to date and the feedback from students, graduates and sponsors indicated the need for a review of the programme as per University of Nairobi policy that programmes are reviewed every five (5) years and to conform with the demands and need of the changing market. Market survey and stakeholder’s consultative meeting held on 26th February 2018 at CCU revealed the need to review the programme to meet the existing demand. The recommendations of various stakeholders (Students, Alumni, lecturers, practitioners and experts in the field) including those who did not participate in the workshop has been taken into consideration during the review. The programme provides a platform for advancement for those who have graduated with a Certificate and Diploma in project planning and management. National and County Governments are currently highly involved in Megaprojects that require project planners, designers and managers that will ensure successful implementation of these projects. This programme fills the gap.
At the end of the programme the learner should be able to:
- Apply core principles and theoretical concepts in the planning and management of projects. Plan and manage development projects;
- Employ knowledge in Design, development and implementation and evaluation of the project.
- Apply project management skills in solving problems in projects;
- Apply principles of research in conducting research in project planning and management;
- Apply knowledge to make decisions in a changing local and international project management environment.
- Evaluate project opportunities based on viability, appraisal and risk evaluation of projects;
- Interpret financial statements for decision-making
- Demonstrate critical thinking and skills concerning the theory and practice of projects management.
- Apply knowledge to facilitate procurement and allocation of resources for the project.
MODE OF DELIVERY
Lectures and tutorials using notes, electronic presentations, instruction manuals, group discussions, practical laboratory demonstrations and fieldwork.
Open, Distance Learning, and e-Learning Mode
To be offered off-campus using a multi-media approach, including a variety of self-instructional print and video conferencing materials.
Blended Learning Mode
This is the use of combined face to face and open, distance learning and e-learning modes.
The main objectives of the programme will be:
1.Introduce students to the general issues and approaches in Project planning, design and implementation
2. Produce graduates equipped with knowledge, skills and values in project monitoring and evaluation.
3. Produce skilled human resource in planning and managing, financial resources for infrastructure and development projects.
4. Develop human capacity in research and evaluation in projects.
5. Train human resource that can create and manage their own projects.
The Contact Persons are:
Email Address: email@example.com
Chairman: Dr. Thomas O. Ombati
The Bachelor in Project Planning and Management will be both academic and practical in its orientation. The teaching and learning methods will include lectures, distance study materials, assignments, class discussions, case analysis and research. Students will be evaluated on the basis of class attendance and participation, performance in assignments and end of semester examinations. The course will create links with the business community, industry, parastatals and other government institutions through attachment.
The following applicants shall be eligible for admission.
- KCSE certificate with a minimum aggregate of C+ and a minimum of C in both mathematics and English or Kiswahili.
- KACE certificate with a minimum of two principal passes and a minimum of credit (6) pass in Mathematics at KCE.
- K.C.S.E with a mean grade C plain or equivalent plus a Diploma or equivalent from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- K.C.S.E with a mean grade C- or equivalent plus a Certificate and a Diploma or equivalent from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- K.C.E/ E.A.C.E, DIV. III/ Ordinary GCE or equivalent Plus a Diploma or equivalent from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- K.A.C.E or E.A.A.C.E/ Advanced GCE Certificate with one Principal pass plus a Diploma or equivalent or
- K.A.C.E or E.A.C.E Certificate with two Principal passes or equivalent
- K.A.C.E certificate with a minimum of two subsidiary passes Plus a Diploma or equivalent from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- International Baccalaureate Diploma.
- A degree from a recognized University or equivalent.
- Holder of CPA/CPS part II or equivalent professional qualification
- A student shall be allowed to transfer or seek exemptions for up to one-third of the total taught courses if the candidate had attended a similar programme in another institution recognized by the University of Nairobi Senate.
- Credit transfers in the case of exchange students shall apply only to specific memoranda of understanding or agreements signed in advance between the University of Nairobi and collaborating Universities/institutions for joint programmes.
- A student seeking transfer of credits or exemptions shall apply through the faculty, school, institute or Centre to the director of undergraduate studies indicating the course units and attaching relevant documents to support the application.
- Applications for transfer of credit or exemption shall be considered only after an applicant has paid the requisite fees.
- Grades for transferred courses shall be entered in the candidate’s transcript while the exempted courses shall be entered as “exempt”.
Fees and Funding
BACHELOR OF ARTS IN PROJECT PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT -L46
|BACHELOR OF ARTS IN PROJECT PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT -L46|
|TOTALS UNITS - 48UNITS|
|EXAMINATION (PER UNIT @1000)||1,000.00|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6,500.00|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||4,000.00|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||2,000.00|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||5,000.00|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||7,000.00|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||2,250.00|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||1,000.00|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||1,000.00|
|SEM 1||SEM 2||SEM 3||SEM 4|
|6 units||6 units||6 units||6 units|
|EXAMINATION (PER UNIT @1000)||6,000.00||6,000.00||6,000.00||6,000.00|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6,500.00||-||-||6,500.00|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||4,000.00||-||-||4,000.00|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||2,000.00||-||-||2,000.00|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||5,000.00||-||-||-|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||7,000.00||-||-||7,000.00|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||2,250.00||2,250.00||2,250.00||2,250.00|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||1,000.00||-||-||1,000.00|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||1,000.00||-||-||1,000.00|
|TUITION||SEM 5||SEM 6|
|6 units||6 units|
|EXAMINATION (PER UNIT @1000)||120,000.00||120,000.00|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6,000.00||6,000.00|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||-||-|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||-||-|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||-||-|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||-||-|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||-||-|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||2,250.00||2,250.00|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||-||-|
|SEM 7||SEM 8|
|6 units||6 units|
|EXAMINATION (PER UNIT @1000)||6,000.00||5,000.00|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6,500.00||-|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||4,000.00||-|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||2,000.00||-|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||-||-|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||7,000.00||-|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||2,250.00||2,250.00|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||1,000.00||-|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||1,000.00||-|
|EXAMINATION (PER UNIT @1000)||24,000.00|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||13,000.00|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||8,000.00|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||4,000.00|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||5,000.00|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||14,000.00|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||9,000.00|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||2,000.00|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||2,000.00|