PhD in Project Planning and Management
Rationale for the programme:
The Doctoral Studies Programme aims to provide an opportunity to candidates with outstanding academic background to engage in advanced research studies in the field of project planning and management. Candidates are expected to have intellectual curiosity, self- discipline and a high level of motivation to be able to carry out research in their various areas of specialization and make a significant contribution to knowledge.
The programme has four areas of specialization namely: Project Design, Planning and Implementation; Project Monitoring and Evaluation; Project Management Information Systems and Project Financing. Candidates shall be required to take supporting coursework comprising six units.
To prepare Doctor of philosophy (PhD) candidates for advanced research and writing skills in their chosen area of specialization, candidates shall be required to take supporting coursework comprising seven course units to be done in a minimum of three semesters and a maximum of seven semesters
The PhD programme seeks to orient candidates to the informed and critical application of knowledge to problems and issues concerning project planning and management as a discipline and profession. The Doctoral programme is intended to enhance individual’s capacity and skills for positions involving teaching, consultancy and research in local and international institutions.
- The school has been offering a Postgraduate Diploma and a Masters in Project Planning and Management. The PhD programme, therefore, will provide an opportunity to graduates who wish to obtain a higher degree in the same field.
- Presently, the School has graduated three cohorts at the Masters level, many of whom are demanding for the PhD programme.
- The PhD programme is expected to provide positive growth to the school in line with the University mission of being a leading center of learning, scholarship, and professional development, extending frontiers of knowledge through research and creative works
- The School has gradually expanded in terms of capacity and currently the school has 15 Lecturers with PhD degrees who are actively involved in the implementation of the School’s programmes.
Objectives of the Programme
The objectives of the programme are to:
- Enhance skills in the various areas of specialization in project management;
- Provide an opportunity to candidates to carry out and present scholarly work;
- Carry out research in the chosen area of study and submit a PhD thesis
- Encourage application of creativity and critical thinking toward problem solving.
- To inculcate desirable values for responsible citizenship and good corporate management
Common Regulations for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in the University of
Nairobi shall be applicable.
This programme is offered by the School of Continuing and Distance Education on evening and ODeL mode
September, May and January every year
PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION (done online)
- Log on to the University of Nairobi Website application link www.application.uonbi.ac.ke.
- Type and enter or click on the slot written REGISTER to register your email with the University online application system and proceed.
- Select the School as School of Open &Distance Learning and the mode of study as ‘distance learning’
- Application fee is Ksh. 3,000/- and is non-refundable. Its payable at the last step of the online application vie Mpesa Paybill number or deposit to KCB account
Semester 1: 2 units; 1 Core and one Specialization
Semester 2: 2 units; 1 Core and one Specialization
Semester 3: 2 units; 1 Core and one Specialization
Year 2 & 3
Areas of specializations:
1. Project monitoring and evaluations
2. Project Finance
3. Project Planning Design and Implementation
4. Project Management Information system
Total Number of units - 6 and a thesis
PhD in Project Planning and Management
- A holder of Master of Arts Degree in Project Planning and Management from the University of Nairobi or any other institution recognized by the Senate.
- A holder of a Master of Business Administration from any institution recognized by the University of Nairobi Senate in areas of specialization relevant to the discipline in the programme.
- A holder of a Master Degree from the University of Nairobi or any other institution recognized by University of Nairobi Senate in areas of specialization relevant to the programme.
Project Planning and Management
Planning and Implementation;
Project Monitoring and Evaluation;
Project Management Information Systems and