The Master of Arts in Project Planning and Management does not have areas of specialization. The Programme, however, covers all the critical project planning and management areas including project monitoring and evaluation, project design, planning and implementation, project financing, project management information system, statistical methods, research methods, among others.
COURSE DURATION: Two (2) years | Rolling Intakes: January, May and September
This programme takes abroad field of project management focusing mainly on five areas of study namely; project planning, design and implementation; project monitoring and evaluation; project financing; project management information system; and environmental issues in project management.
The programme is to provide leadership and stewardship in the provision of knowledge and practical skills in the area of project planning and management. This is undertaken with passion, moral responsibility and a strong sense of patriotism. The programme is designed to provide students with advanced skills in critical thinking and analysis of problems and issues concerning project planning and management as a discipline and profession.
The rationale of the programme is drawn from the need to address Project Planning Management emerging issues in the new world order that includes: governance, food security, conflict resolution, technology, resource management and human security.
M.A. (Project Planning and Management)
The objectives of the programme shall be to: -
- Train highly skilled human resource capacity to plan and manage development projects.
- Enable learners to acquire analytical tools, principles and concepts of project identification, appraisal, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Enhance skills and knowledge, competencies and ability of learners to analyze situations within the project from an academic and practical perspective.
- Develop awareness of the changing local and international project management environment
- Create the foundation for project management professionals to pursue further studies and research in the field.
At the end of the programme the learner should be able to:
- Plan and manage development projects;
- Design, develop and implement a project management system;
- Apply project management skills in solving problems in projects;
- Apply principles of research in conducting research in project planning and management;
- Demonstrate theoretical and practical experience in making decisions in a changing local and international project management environment
- Evaluate project opportunities based on viability, appraisal and risk evaluation of projects;
- Demonstrate critical thinking and skills with regard to theory and practice of project management.
MODE OF DELIVERY
Lectures and tutorials using notes, electronic presentations, instruction manuals, group discussions, practical laboratory demonstrations and fieldwork.
Open, Distance Learning, and e-Learning Mode
To be offered off-campus using a multi-media approach, including a variety of self-instructional print and video conferencing materials.
Blended Learning Mode
This is the use of combined face to face and open, distance learning and e-learning modes.
The Contact Persons are:
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chairman: Dr. Thomas O. Ombati
M.A. (Project Planning and Management)
COURSE STRUCTURE AND DURATION
The program will be offered in two modes; face to face and Open, Distance and e-Learning.
FACE TO FACE
The course shall run for a minimum of four semesters and a maximum of ten (10) semesters of fifteen weeks each.
The course shall consist of fifteen (15) taught course units, and a research project, which shall constitute four (4) units. A student will have taken nineteen (19) units in total.
The course shall consist of course work, examination and a project
The course shall consist of twelve (12) core units and three (3) electives
The student shall be required to take a minimum of two (2) course units and a maximum of five (5) course units in a semester
Each course unit shall be taught for forty five hours (45) consisting of lectures and tutorials
The project shall be equivalent to four course units and shall be undertaken during the last semester.
OPEN AND DISTANCE LEARNING
This delivery mode will use various media, including print, electronic and independent study.
The main medium of instruction shall be well-designed printed self-instructional study modules. With the inclusion of interactive devices and self-tests, these modules will provide students with great learning opportunities.
The modules will be supported by technology-mediated learning materials which include audio compact discs, e-learning materials and online learning.
There will be limited face-to- face sessions conducted on-campus or other identified study centers in the regions. These sessions will be used by lecturers to introduce and provide overviews of the courses at the beginning of the semesters and at mid-semester, to provide clarifications on issues raised by the learners. The end-of-semester sessions will be used for revisions before examinations.
Students will be supported through the University of Nairobi regional study centers where access to information through computers will be provided.
After registration, students will be given orientation on distance learning. Specifically, orientation in studying at a distance will provide students with study skills, reading skills, time management techniques, handling of assignments and general guidance and counseling.
Minimum Admission Requirements
- A holder of Bachelor’s Degree in Project Planning and Management, Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Business Administration and any other related discipline with at least Second Class Honors Upper Division of the University of Nairobi, or an equivalent qualification from other institutions recognized by Senate.
- A holder of Bachelor’s Degree in Project Planning and Management, Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Business Administration and any other related discipline with at least a Second Class Honors Lower Division of the University of Nairobi or an equivalent qualification from other institutions recognized by Senate with 2 years relevant working experience.
- A holder of Bachelor’s Degree in Project Planning and Management, Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Business Administration and any other related discipline with at least a Pass with a Post-Graduate Diploma or with five years relevant working experience.
Credit Transfer and Exemptions
- Applicants who have completed equivalent Masters course units at other Senate recognized universities may, with the approval of the Senate, be allowed to transfer credits up to one third (four) course units into their program.
- Students desiring to receive credit for any prior course units done will need to make a formal request, which includes:
- A list of the University of Nairobi (UON) course units for which the student is interested in getting credit;
- Official transcripts, indicating courses that may be equivalent and;
- Description and syllabus/outlines for the courses previously taken and passed. In addition, there may be an exemption examination.
- All those seeking to transfer credits will be required to pay an appropriate fee as per the university credit transfer policy.
Fees and Funding
|MASTERS OF ARTS IN PROJECT PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT-L50-14 UNITS|
|EXAMINATION (PER UNIT @1000)||1,000|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6,500|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||5,000|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||2,000|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||5,000|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||7,000|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||2,250|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||1,000|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||1,000|
|SEM 1 - 5units||SEM 2- 5units||SEM 3 - 4units||SEM 4 - projects||TOTALS|
|EXAMINATION (PER UNIT @1000)||5,000||5,000||4,000||-||14,000|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||5,000||-||5,000||-||10,000|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6,500||-||6,500||-||13,000|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||7,000||-||7,000||-||14,000|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||2,250||2,250||2,250||2,250||9,000|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||5,000||-||-||-||5,000|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||1,000||-||1,000||-||2,000|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||2,000||-||2,000||-||4,000|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||1,000||-||1,000||-||2,000|